ZLBT Chats

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Novice Retail Traders, Good or Bad ?

Question:
I am a fresh face novice venturing into this unknown world. I have very little resources with a big ego to strike it big. I need advice and guidance.

....... from Noviceberg
Answer:
Noviceberg question is one I have addressed before, not in BT open blog but person-to-person and I will address it again directly in a moment >>> here in open blog with sender's real name & emaill address adjusted to protect his/her privacy.

Before I do, however, I want you all to know it raises an issue I have thought about for some time now …
Noviceberg, it pleases me that you want to trade and it concerns me that you outright say your goal is to “strike it big” with minimal resources. The implication is that you see trading as a quick way to the riches you apparently desire.

If you don’t lose this notion, you will lose your money, however little that may be. One more time for all those who might have misunderstood this >>> trading is work. It takes time and effort to learn how to do it properly, as well as to achieve consistent success.

My advice is to reconsider your desire to trade until you have the correct attitude, solid skills, and most importantly, you have more capital resources. Do not trade with "urgent money" or as some Chinese crudely puts it >>> Coffin Capital.

Bottomline >>> Investing say, 25% of your personal savings would be prudent. Never invest with monies that isn't yours.

The issue I mentioned in the opening directly relates to Noviceberg and the millions of other beginners like Noviceberg who are trading real money on a global scale everyday in every market around the world.

One study I read concludes that some 70% of retail day-traders lose money. If this is true, or even close to true, what is the implication for the rest of us who trade retail, either on a day basis or for the short term?

Does it mean there is more “money in the pot,” as it does in poker, or is it a negative that actually hurts us? Certainly the fact that millions of amateurs are trading daily increases liquidity, which is good, but it also has the potential to move markets based on hunches, gurus, manipulators, and bad skills.

Even though I encourage folks like Iceberg who is a self confessed Novice to learn how to trade, as it can be rewarding, I wonder if this is a good thing or a bad thing? What do you think?

Trade in the day; invest in your life …

ZL's Bursa Themes Updated commentaries & charts of FKLI, FCPO, FOREX & Bursa Stocks
http://zlbursatheme.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment